Sunday, October 6, 2013

Home is where the heart is.

Oct. 4, 2013
Today was the last day of our trip. We hit the road at about 8:30am and drove all the way to Bend, OR, which is about half way to Washington. The reason we chose to stop there is because Ben promised me that I could go shopping at the Ross, and in Oregon there is no tax. I didn’t end up finding anything, but Ben (finally!!!) got a new had to replace the disgusting one he has been wearing.



After we left Bend, we drove for another 5 or so hours all the way to Leavenworth, WA, which is a little town in the Cascade Mountains that is modeled after a Bavarian town, so all the buildings are keeping with this theme. This weekend was actually the first of 3 weekends where they were having Oktoberfest parties, so it was really busy in town and there were even people dressed up in dirndls and lederhosen. 








We poked around through some shops and stopped in one that had samples of all sorts of dips, honeys, marinades and hot sauces. Ben and I made a fatal error in trying one hot sauce, that to be fair had several warnings on it, and we deeply regretted it. It was the most fiery thing I have ever tasted, I basically went around to all the creamy looking dips to try and put the fire out but nothing was really helping. Ben was getting really sweaty and ended up cracking and buying chocolate milk. After a while my mouth started to feel better, but the fire had just moved to my stomach and I was not feeling very well. Ben apparently was fine, however he had eaten about a quarter of the sauce that I had (I dipped my pretzel stick deeper) and he drank milk (of which he only gave me a sip). By this time it was after 5pm and we still wanted to make it home, so we headed back to the car and I drank a coconut water and started to feel much better.
The drive through the Cascades was beautiful; once we got to Steven’s Pass there was even snow on the mountains.



 It ended up taking us much longer to get out of the mountains and to Everett than we had anticipated as we had to go through several towns and the traffic got busier the closer we got to civilization. We finally made it to the I5 around 7:30pm and by this time we were pretty hungry since we hadn’t eaten since breakfast other than a few snacks in the car. We ended up getting off the I5 one exit north of the outlet mall and found this cool sushi place where they have plates of food going around on a track. The food was good and it was perfect because we didn’t have to wait to order anything and Ben was getting antsy about getting across the border.
We made it across the border without incident and there wasn’t even a line. Upon arriving at home, it seems our local neighbourhood cat missed us and had left us a gift of a large rat on our driveway…so thoughtful.
Overall, our trip was pretty awesome. Lots of people commented on Ben’s height and asked about our car and strangely enough I had a few people comment on my ear piercings and say they had never seen ones like mine before, which is weird because I’ve had these piercings for about 10 years and no one has ever commented on them before…
Also, now that we are home we can look forward to our next road trip J

No comments:

Post a Comment